Thursday, February 10, 2022

Mold produces microbial volatile organic molecules, which are responsible for the musty stench common in older dwellings. A musty stench in your house, regardless of its age, indicates that mold has taken root somewhere. There are various things you can do to get rid of that musty stench and leave your house feeling fresh and clean. Read on to find out what you can do. 


Find The Mold

The first thing you must do is handle the mold issue. Mold not only has a musty stench, but it is also potentially harmful to your health. Mold typically develops in the vicinity of a plumbing leak. Hopefully, it's in a convenient location, such as beneath the kitchen sink. It might, however, be growing within your walls around a leaking pipe.

Once you've identified the mold, wash the affected area with a solution of one gallon of water and one cup of bleach. Scrub away all of the mold and keep the area properly aired until it dries fully. You can treat a tiny area of mold on your own. However, if the area is much bigger or difficult to get to, you may need to hire specialists to help you. If there is a lot of damage, then you'll certainly need water and mold restoration services to help you put things right again. 

Fix The Leak

You must address the cause of the issue, or the mold will return. You'll need to either repair the leak yourself or hire a plumber. However, in an older house, your plumbing may need to be changed if the pipes have deteriorated, in which case you will most likely want the services of a professional. Galvanized steel pipes, for example, are notorious for rust. Polybutylene plastic pipes, which were popular in the 1970s and 1980s, are prone to cracking.

Of course, it isn't always a leaking pipe. Mold development can be facilitated by any moisture accumulation, not only plumbing issues. If you live in a humid region, think about installing dehumidifiers, particularly in the bathrooms and kitchen. After you've finished showering, open the windows and turn on the fan to help dry the bathroom. Also, keep furniture at least a few inches away from the walls to avoid moisture collecting. You can avoid mold by keeping your house clean and dry.

Use Natural Odor Absorbers

Natural odor absorbers, such as baking soda and activated charcoal, can aid in the removal of any remaining smells. To keep them fresh, swap them out every week or two. Additionally, sunshine and fresh air are natural air cleaners, so leave the windows open throughout the day. Mold development is also inhibited by sunlight and fresh air.

It may take some time to eliminate mold and musty smells entirely, but don't give up. Even if it takes a few weeks for the smell to go away completely, it's far better than doing nothing and living in an unpleasant home. Once you've done what you can, keeping your house dry and allowing in fresh air and sunlight should keep mold at bay.


Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts. However, kindly refrain from adding links in your comments because they will be marked as spam and filtered out. Thank you!