Wednesday, September 23, 2020

The Warning Signs Of An Electrical Fire


Electrical fires are one of the most common household fires. Such a fire could cause huge damage to your home and put you and your household at risk. For this reason, it can be useful to know the warning signs so that you can take preventative action. Below are just some of the major warning signs. 

Unidentifiable burning smells

An unidentifiable burning smell could be coming from your electrics. Heat from worn wiring could be causing the surroundings to burn. By tracing the source of the smell, you may be able to determine whether it’s coming from something electrical.

Buzzing electrical sockets

If electrical sockets are making an odd noise such as a hum or a buzz, it could be another sign that the wiring is worn and at risk of causing a fire. Strange sounds aren’t always dangerous, but are still worth looking into. 

Discoloured/charred outlets

You should also look out for electrical outlets that seem discoloured or charred on the outside. This could be a sign that burning has already started to take place and that a fire could be around the corner.

Circuit breakers tripping

If your circuit breaker keeps tripping it could be any number of electrical faults. A tripping circuit breaker is common in homes with old wiring and could be a sign of damaged electrics. An electrical fire could occur as a result.

Visibly old/worn wiring

Is there any wiring in your home that looks visibly damaged or old? Perhaps the wire casing has worn away or perhaps your wiring looks messy and amateurishly done. This could also be worth looking into - damaged wiring could be the cause of a potential electrical fire in the future.

How to prevent an electrical fire

If you spot any of the warning signs listed above, you should hire an electrician to take a look immediately. Fixing the problem could help to prevent any electrical fires in the future.

Electrical work can be expensive, which can put some people off. If you haven’t got any funds to pay for electrical repairs, you could consider looking into payday loans and other borrowing methods. Alternatively, some electrical companies may offer the option to pay in installments. 

That said, if it’s just a single outlet that needs fixing, you may find that the cost is quite low. It’s only if you have to think about rewiring your whole home that you may want to worry about the cost. If you’ve got very old wiring, as costly as it may be, it could be worth it - there could be other hidden electrical dangers in your home. 

There are other fire safety measures that you can take to help prevent a fire. These could include making sure that extension packs aren’t overloaded and that electrical appliances are kept away from water sources. It’s also worth avoiding any DIY electrics in your home, unless you really know what you’re doing. 


Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts. However, kindly refrain from adding links in your comments because they will be marked as spam and filtered out. Thank you!